Wednesday 2 March 2011

What Is This All About?

Well we are again beginning a new chapter in our lives. We are excited to tell you that we are again pregnant and expecting a new baby!!!!!!!!!!! I am 12 weeks and 1 day right now and tomorrow I am going to be going into hospital to have a cerclage placed. In english, what does this mean? I will be having my cervix stitched.

The high risk team that I deal with does not want me to have another loss so they are trying to do everything they can to help me get this baby to term! A cerclage is used when there is an incompetent cervix. We do not know for sure that this is what I deal with, but with having "A" at 24 weeks and then losing "H" at 18 weeks 4 days there is a very good possibility.

It will not prevent premature rupture (as I had with "H") but we just hope and pray that will not happen again with this pregnancy.

There are risks with the procedure, however the doctors feel that the benefits for me having this done definitely outweigh the risks of doing nothing. We could wait and see, however if my cervix was to shorten and it wasn't found right away then an emergency cerclage has more risks and may not even be doable. So we go with the preventative!

So, I will have my stitching done and pray that all goes well and things continue to go as well as they have been.

I have also been on progesterone since I was 6 weeks pregnant. There are studies that show that progesterone can help prevent preterm labor and loss. As well, progesterone is a very important thing in a healthy pregnancy and there are no risks with taking it and doing any harm.

I have to say though, that this pregnancy has been VERY different than any I have experienced!!! I have been SOOO nauseous. And I mean SOOO bad that I actually had to resort taking medication to help me cope with it. It has truly been a life saver! So I take this as a good sign for this baby!!!

We are SO excited at the thought of possibly having a healthy baby that we can bring home when it is born and not 9 months later. So, throughout the next few months we could definitely use all the prayers that anyone is willing to give to us!



Here is our little squirt (as named by Aunty A) last week!


And just a little reminder, that if you are here on this blog then you are one we have decided to share this news with right now. So please do not post any comments to me on facebook or anywhere "public" until we come totally out of the dark with our news! Thanks all!


5 comments:

Nathali said...

Congratulations!!!!! I am so excited for you!! And very curious as I will probably take the same path if I get pregnant again. Please keep me posted!! (oh and I know someone who had it done without anesthesia and she does NOT recommend that!! Good luck!!!!

martha said...

Congratulations Shannon, Jeff and Ashton. My prayers are with you for the safe (full term!) birth of your much wanted baby! Thank you for sharing this truly wonderful news with me.

Billie said...

WooHoo! Congratulations! I am wishing a very long and healthy pregnancy for you, and a fully uncomplicated delivery. Ashton will be such a great big brother. :-) Thanks for sharing.
Billie

Anonymous said...

Awesome news! Congrats to you all. Wishing you all the best,

Barry, Kristina, Alyssa & Ella.

Carol and Dave said...

Congrats Mom and Dad and Ashton! Wonderful news! We'll hope for a healthy term and beautiful baby! It will come. Believe!!!