Thursday 3 March 2011

Baby On Lockdown!

Well after a long day at the hospital I am home! I was there for 9am but was not called back until just after 10am. I was a nervous wreck to say the least. My stomach issues were acting up and I thought I was going to throw up. My anxiety is bad anyways and then add to it a day like today and it is just over the top.

So I had my IV placed and I have to tell you that never have I had one done so painlessly and well!!! So that was a good start. Finally got taken up to labor and delivery where I met my nurse for the procedure as well as the anesthesiologist. Some tears were shed as my fears increased. And I am glad to tell you that this guy was absolutely fabulous! (I had a HORRIBLE pre op appointment...so bad that I left there crying and no answers/help to anything I would be going through...that is another entire story though.)

He told me that if I wanted a general he would do so but just wanted me to know that there were increased risks being pregnant. I told him how afraid I was on having a spinal done and he promised me that he would walk me through it. As well I told him how I suffer from anxiety and he told me he would help me out and give me something through the IV. Done deal.

So off we go to the operating room.

My nerves once again kicked into high gear. They had me up on the table and were prepping my back for the spinal. My heart rate went up to 155 bpm!!!!! Freezing was placed and it was a burn, burn, burn but I did not feel the spinal being done after that....just pressure. My feet started getting hot and slowly my legs went tingly/numb.

I laid down and anesthesia then gave me a drug to help me relax. I remember thinking that it wasn't working well enough but that's it. When I went into recovery I was kinda shocked to learn I was in there for an hour. It only felt like five minutes!

The recovery was the worst part. Waiting for the spinal to wear off took six hours! The top half went first which then left me with some pretty painful cramping. But thankfully over the hours things got a bit better. I am home now which is just perfect!

This day was MUCH easier than I imagined it would be, that is for sure. And it was made easier and better because I had my mom with me the whole time! :)

Thanks for all the prayers for today.....so far they have worked.

Now we just continue to hope and pray and BELIEVE that this cerclage is going to give us the full term healthy baby that we SO badly want as a part of our family!

Lockdown has begun!!!!

4 comments:

Vic said...

Thanks for the update, I'm glad things went well.

Anonymous said...

very glad to hear that you are home and doing well! i was thinking about you all day, i'm very happy to hear that you had a great doctor who listened and helped you out
i'm so happy for you and J, i know you have been wanting this for a very long time! i can't wait to see you get a tummy and hear about all the great things of being pregnant, and i'm praying that this will be a long and healthy pregnancy and the little one will like his home in your belly enough to stay there for a long time
love ya lots, Mandi
hugs

Melissa said...

So glad everything went well and I am sending you many prayers and best wishes for this pregnancy.

martha said...

yes! i do believe! I believe that little stitch in your cervix will help it stay closed until your wee baby reaches term. take good care of your health... extra vitamin C, vitamin D and vitamin E to make a strong amniotic membrane and ward off infection. Consider mindfulness meditation training to help you with your anxiety. Sorry, I just can't help myself - i still think of myself as your midwife.