Tuesday 3 May 2011

21 Weeks!

How baby is growing:

By 21 weeks pregnant, your baby's growth has slowed somewhat, though your baby is still growing and developing at a remarkable pace. Your baby's skin, organs and central nervous system continue to develop and mature.

Though not fully matured, your baby's digestive system is also working at 21 weeks pregnant. The intestines are slowly starting to contract and relax, and your baby is able to swallow and absorb fluids through the amniotic fluid.

Though it seems unusual that your baby swallows amniotic fluid, this actually helps mature the digestive system.

At some point in your pregnancy, you might start noticing that your baby has started hiccuping. Believe it or not, hiccuping in utero is actually quite common. Fetal hiccups typically begin sometime during the second trimester. You may notice hiccups as a small, repetitive and rhythmic movement that occurs for a few minutes at a time in your belly.

You may soon feel like baby is practicing martial arts as its initial fluttering movements turn into full-fledged kicks and nudges. You may also discover a pattern to the activity as you get to know her better. In other developments, your baby's eyebrows and lids are present now, and if you're having a girl, her vagina has begun to form as well.

Baby now weighs about three-quarters of a pound and is approximately 10 1/2 inches long — the length of a carrot.

Weight Gain? Well last week I was at 15lbs, but at my last appointment I actually lost two pounds, so I guess that means 13lbs so far!! :)

Sleep? Going to sleep just fine...waking up at least once to go pee...and waking up pretty early for each day. Once I awake in the morning, there is no going back to sleep.

Best Moment of the Week? I can't say I have had a best moment. Its been a tough week to be honest. I thought reaching and passing 18 weeks was going to be tough, but man oh man this 24 week milestone is really tough! Only three weeks left ...then hopefully I can sigh a breath of relief.

Food Cravings? Nothing particular.

Emotions? They have been all over the place this past week. More so since being placed on modified bed rest. It is really really hard for me to just sit and do nothing when I am used to being on the go all the time. And then having a child like A to care for makes things a tad tougher. To be honest, if A didn't have all the issues he has I would be telling them to admit me now. I think it is the only way that the whole bedrest idea would work. But sadly there are not enough trach trained people to help take care of my little man. I guess only time will tell...........

No comments: